1950s · Children's Sewing · New York Patterns · Sateen · Stashbusting · Stashbusting 2022

Completed: New York 1445 (1952)

Photo by author.

I recently completed this for a baby shower gift. I rarely make baby/kids clothes, so it was a fun change. I’ve had the pattern and fabric in my stash for a long time, but never knew what to make with either. Once I started working on it, though, I knew this was the perfect pairing.

Photo by author.

The other fun thing about this project was because the fabric was vintage deadstock, it had some challenges – a few holes and a major misprint – that I had to work with. Read on to the notes section for more about this.

Photo by author.

Time Frame: January 8-February 19
Pattern:
New York 1445 (1952)
Size: 6 months
Fabric:
Vintage 100% cotton sateen by Waverly, passed on to me from another sewist.
Notions:
Thread and piping from stash. Pearly buttons and bias binding from JoAnn’s.
Cost: $5 for the buttons and binding.

Photo by author.

Alterations

  • I added piping to the yoke (front and back) and collar, so the shape wouldn’t get lost in the print. I ended up not added it to the shorts yoke since they’ll be covered up by the dress.
  • I kept the binding on the shorts legs visible instead of turning it under, to visually balance the piping on the dress.
  • I bound the armholes.
  • The dress hem was marked at 3 1/2″ which seemed really deep, so I decreased it to 2″.
Photo by author.
Photo by author.

General Notes

  • The instructions on this one were scant, even for an experienced vintage sewist like myself. I ended up doing a lot of the construction to my own instincts, occasionally referencing the illustrations for anything of which I wasn’t sure, which is why I don’t have a lot of “alterations” notes per se.
  • I did the shorts first – these took only 3 evenings of work. The rest of the time was devoted to the top.
  • Applying the piping and yoke panels to the bodice area was very difficult at the corners.
  • I don’t like the ruffle sleeves as much as I hoped – they don’t lay nicely – but the short sleeves weren’t an option because of the limited fabric.
  • They didn’t include elastic guides for most of the history of sewing patterns, so I had to leave extra elastic with one end unsewn. Luckily the recipient is a very experienced sewer!
  • My fabric was quite a challenge to work with. It has a strong directional gridded print, a huge misprinted stripe, and several holes in it. I thought I had avoided all the holes but in my efforts to match the print I ended up with one right in the middle of the dress front. Another ended up on the back but at least I was aware of it beforehand. I was able to invisibly mend both, fortunately.
Mended hole. Photo by author.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.