I was amazed to open my sewing journal and see that I had started this set in 2017! I believe it was mostly completed in 2018, and then finished and gifted to my sister in 2019. So I guess it is only fitting that the blog post about it should be spaced a year apart too, since it took us so long to get photos.
Pattern: Simplicity 3250 (1950)
Time: January 2017-September 2019
Fabric: Quilting cottons from stash
Notions: Vintage buttons gifted from a friend, thread from stash
- The bra band was huge. The overlap to fit it was 4″, even though the pattern is only designed for a single row of buttons we ended up doubling up, and the buttons are merely decorative, with snaps underneath because with the 4″ overlap, spacing 2 vertical rows of functional buttons didn’t look good.
- I used snaps instead of a zipper in the shorts side opening.
- Instructions were somewhat confusing, and the construction is definitely intermediate level sewing. It took me 4 tries to get the short’s side pocket in, as it is also where the zipper goes.
- Typical of 1950’s patterns, which are drafted for an exaggerated hourglass figure achieved with shapewear and padding, a 36″ bust pattern fits well from the waist down, but the bust was much too big. Next time I would make one size smaller at least.
- The bra top is unstructured (no boning or interfacing). I think it would benefit from some featherweight boning, in order to not have to wear a bra with it.
- Crotch depth on the pattern is ~33″…for comparison, my pajamas, which are high-waisted with a fairly low crotch are 30″.