Time Frame: May – September 2016
Pattern: McCall’s 6696, shirtdress with cup options
Fabric: 100% quilter’s cotton by Lisette from JoAnn’s
Notions: Size 12 needle, pearl buttons from JoAnn’s, bias tape from stash, thread
Size: 12, D cup
- Take up at mid-armscye 1 1/4″ back and front.
- Take up at lengthen/shorten line of bodice 1/2″
- The skirt’s pleats were not even across the front and got stuck in the button placket the way they were drafted. which I solved by eliminating the two center front pleats and cutting it down to fit the waistband.
- Lower the bust darts 1/2″.
- The instructions were not clear as to which directions the pleats go. I did them the way I liked, but I have seen others do them differently.
- It needs a hook and bar at the waist in addition to the button.
- As usual I have to shift the buttons to get the placement right across the bust.
- In future I would re-draft the pockets to be deeper.
- I wish I had pointed the pattern on the back yoke (which I split in two for a chevron effect) outwards instead of towards center to help with the hourglass silhouette illusion.
I would definitely make this again. I wasn’t 100% sold on it until I wore it a couple of times but I really love it. To me it really has a Betty Draper and Nancy Drew feeling. I do wish the skirt was a little fuller, but that is easily done by adding width for a truer 50s look.