1920s · Menswear Sewing · Pajamas · Vintage Pledge 2018

January Round Up

I realize it is nearly the end of February, so this is a bit late, but I’m trying to stay on top of my blogging instead of backlogging into one big post.

I have a few resolutions for the year that I neglected to include in my 2018 Winter Sewing Plans post.

1. Every month I am aiming to finish one thing from my WIPs pile and one thing from my alterations pile. If I’m really good I’ll do the WIP and alterations before starting any thing new that month.

2. Sew primarily from my stash and thrift the other materials.

Well, despite being away from home for much of January I actually succeeded in my first resolution. Lucky James, as every project was for him!

The new project was a birthday gift and for one thing I had already planned out in December what I was going to buy for it and for another I’m not sure I could have found exactly what I wanted for it by thrifting. Using my trusty Simplicity 9958 I made silk charmeuse boxers for him. The fabric choice made some things tricky – I think serged edges as a seam finish was not the best option, for example. A turned edge would have been more appropriate. The other problem was the pattern has a 1.5″ deep hem, which is very deep indeed. Topstitching it looked very cheap with this fabric so I ended up hemming it by hand.

IMG_7504.JPG

The WIP I completed was the top to the Carolyn Pajamas I tried to make last year. The bottoms didn’t fit me, but they fit James, so he received them. I had already started the top and it was left hanging in the closet, forlornly half-finished. After a few hints about having a matching top, I got on to finishing it and completed it in only a couple of nights.

IMG_7485.JPG

For my January alterations project I chose to finally re-hem all of James’ boxers I had previously made as they had always been too long. The first two weren’t bad, but after that it felt tedious so I’m glad it is over!

IMG_7479.JPG

I finished these projects fairly early in January so I managed to begin tracing off one of my 1920s patterns. I have never delved into the 20s so why not? My muslin is half done, I got stuck on the skirt for awhile as the instructions are really generic dress-making instructions with no specific instructions regarding an individual pattern as you can see below. It is a bit ironic that they do include other very detailed instructions with illustrations on topics like bias binding and gathering!IMG_7526.JPGIMG_7547.jpg

One thought on “January Round Up

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.