Here it is, my third and final plaid WIP of the summer, done! The first WIP was my gingham 50s bathing suit and the second was James’ Negroni. This shirt was from my HSFN 2014 list of 1940s patterns I was aiming to sew up. I’m extremely pleased with it, I think it looks very Nancy Drew indeed.
Pattern: Simplicity 1554 (1945)
Size: 16, B34
Time: 3 months
- My pattern was missing the front facing so I copied the one from a similar shirt pattern. It wasn’t perfect but it did the job, I just had to shorten it by 1″.
- 1/2 seam allowance was used on all seams, although the pattern called for 3/4″ on the side seams. Other than that I made no alterations to the pattern.
- The shirring is done in a way I’d never seen before. You create the rows of shirring and then fit them to a panel applied to the back.
- The directions for attaching the collar and facing are very strange. Rather than enclosing the whole raw neck seam in the collar, you clip it and half lies under the front facing and the rest gets tucked into the collar.
- The buttonholes are marked 3/4″ from the front edge, but all my RTW shirts are 1/2″ so I used 1/2″ instead. This is why the plaid no longer matches up at the front.
- I used Sunni’s button placement guide and it is WONDERFUL.
- I wasn’t sure about my fabric and snaps combination, so I interfaced the front facings. The snaps still feel much too big and sturdy but if I unsnap them carefully I don’t think I will risk ripping the lightweight fabric.
- The shirt is very short, even for my 5’3″ height. It generally stayed tucked in, but even with the tiny hem I gave it, I think that next time I would add some length.
- I had just enough snaps, but I did one wrong and wrecked the snap. Fortunately, the “sample” that came with the pack was purple, so I just used it at the very bottom where it gets tucked in anyways.